Please see below from the BTA :
9 May 2018
2018 Carifta Triathlon and Aquathlon – Tobago – 29 and 30 September 2018
The Bermuda Triathlon Association is pleased to announce that Bermuda will be sending a team of young athletes to compete in the Carifta triathlon and aquathlon events to be held in Trinadad and Tobago (specifically Tobago) on 29 and 30 September 2018. The team will most likely travel to Tobago on 26 September and return on 1 October.
This will be the second Carifta Triathlon and Aquathon festival, and will attract teams from around the Caribbean.
The events and age groups, for both girls and boys, will be as follows (note age for all events is age as at 31 December 2018 – NOT age as at race day):
11-12yrs – 200m Swim, 5k Bike, 1.25k run (draft legal)
13-15yrs – 375m Swim, 10k Bike, 2.5k run (draft legal)
16-19yrs – 750m Swim, 20k Bike, 5k run (draft legal)
11-12yrs – 250m swim, 1.25k run
13-15yrs – 500m swim, 2.5k run
16-19yrs – 1,000m swim, 5K run
We can enter 5 girls and 5 boys per age group in each event up to a maximum of 30 athletes in aggregate. Eligibility requires at least 12 months Bermuda residency.
There will also be a mixed relay event – relay teams will be selected by the race organizers at random so we will not be able to enter just Bermuda teams – all athletes from all participating countries will be mixed up into teams.
Preliminary entries have to be in by 30 June 2018, with final entries due by 30 August 2018.
To ensure the Bermuda team is as strong as possible, team selection will be determined on the following qualification/selection criteria:
Triathlon age 11-12, 13-15yrs and 16-19 yrs:
1. Participation and placing at the following events
10 June 2018: XL Catlin National Championships, Clearwater (age appropriate distance which means Sprint distance for 16-19)
18 June 2018: National Hero’s Day Home Event, Harrington Sound Dock (we can do age appropriate distances)
23 June 2018: Clarien Iron Kids, Clearwater (only available for athletes up to 15 yrs)
2. Attendance and finish time at not less than 4 of the Thursday night super sprint triathlons
3. Confirmation of at least 3hrs swim training per week with a club or swim instructor. Please provide 200m and 400m times if available;
4. Confirmation of 3 run sessions per week (Trihedz would count). Please provide 800m, 1500m, 1600m and/or 3000m times if available;
5. Participation in 3 competitive BBA scheduled bike races (any discipline).
Aquathlon age 11-12, 13-15 and 16-19 yrs
1. Confirmation of at least 4 hours swim training per week either with a club or swim instructor – please provide 400m or 800m times if available;
2. Confirmation of 3 run sessions per week – please provide 800m, 1500m, 1600m and/or 3000m times if available;
3. Participation in appropriate open water swim events.
Final team entries have to be submitted to the race organisers by 30 August 2018. Once the team has been selected, there will be mandatory training sessions for all team members during the month of September.
We are very grateful that Tokio Re have provisionally agreed to sponsor a Bermuda team attending this event which should help in reducing the cost of participation of each athlete. We will also be looking to organize some fund raising events.
We currently anticipate that Neil de ste Croix will travel as the team coach. There will also be a team manager and a number of chaperones depending on the ultimate size of the team. Parents will be welcome to attend, but we would like all the athletes to stay in the same hotel. In addition, there is an opportunity for an ITU Technical Official to accompany the team and officiate at the event.
Please advise by email to email@example.com if you would like your athlete to be put on the long list for team selection. The long list will not be a commitment to attend nor a guarantee of selection, but will ensure you receive all future emails regarding the event. When responding, please confirm your athlete’s age as at 31 December 2018.